Friday, September 21, 2007

Translations

As an oil painter for over 10 years, I have come to the conclusion that the novices on the show circuit do not realize that customers actually speak a different language. In the beginning, this language barrier caused me no end of confusion until I learned to translate correctly. With that in mind, I have prepared a brief listing of the most popular customer phrases with their correct translation. (Thanks to fellow painter Virginia Peake for her contributions.)

Your work is lovely.
Translation: I’ve finished looking. I’m leaving now.

I’ll be back.
Translation: Good-bye. Have a nice life.

I want to talk this over with my husband / wife.
Translation: See above.

These colors don’t match my decor.
Translation: These prices don’t match my wallet.

I love your frames / roof with skylight / table cloths.
Translation: Don’t get up--I’m a fellow artist.

Is that the best you can do?
Translation: Can I talk you into a pay cut?

Hrrrmmmfff. (spoken by man with arms folded across chest standing outside booth in response to wife’s question--”what do you think, dear?”)
Translation: No sale

Is this a watercolor? (spoken while pointing to an oil)
or
Is this an oil? (spoken while pointing to a watercolor.)
Translation: I only came for the crafts.

So, how long did it take you to paint this?
Translation: What are you getting, $300 an hour?

Where’s the crochet lady who was in this spot last year?
Translation: Have they replaced the best thing in the show with you????

Oh dear, everybody’s an art critic.
Translation: My dog just wizzed on your display.

3 comments:

Candy Barr said...

Hi Linda, these are right on! I used to do portraits at Craftproducers fairs, and came upon your site. Lovely atmosphere in your wooded scenes and handling of brushwork for foliage. Descriptions of foul weather circumstances for art fairs very vivid and you were lucky! Keep up the terrific work!

CandyBarrArtist.blogspot.com

Linda Blondheim said...

Super post.
Love,
Linda
www.lindablondheimartnotes.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Hi Linda,

You have some great artworks.
I found this post quite amusing.

Merry Xmas,

Jose